Thursday, June 13, 2013

Review: Get Home Bag - Bug Out Bag

Some friends of mine asked me recently for recommendations for Bug-Out-Bags, after watching the NatGeo "Doomsday Preppers" show, and The Colony.

I don't have a "Bug-Out-Bag", per se,  but I do have two "Get Home Bags". One in my car, and one is my every-day pack. 


I've covered both before, as Items, and shown off what I keep in them from time to time, but as a unit, I thought it might be worthwhile laying it all out.

My primary, EDC and "get home bag" is the Platatac Bullock Echo, to which I've added a couple of extra pouches and loaded up a fair bit. This is the bag I have with me everywhere I go, and I still manage to carry my iPad, days food and whatever else I need day by day in it. Great pack. It's a reasonable load that I carry, as you'll see, but I can run, climb, crawl, jump and probably swim with this all on me. I get some funny looks sometimes, but I'm used to that. 



1) waterproof poncho, OD / first aid kit
2) set of metric Alan keys on a split ring
7) cord
12) ZuluNulonGear CAOS admin pouch with small adjustable wrench, LED plyer multitool, Buck Tools Multitool, dexim BluePack 1200mAh ( 5V-500mAh) USB iPhone battery, UV laser pointer, kumquat carbon fiber credit card bottle opener, sharpie.
14) microfiber towel
16) Platatac Half Med pack with elastic bandage, forceps, non-latex gloves, cylume sticks, band-aids, bandages
18) Sea To Summit Alpha cutlery and chopsticks
20) Platatac HeadOver head sock 
23) alcohol based hand sanitizer
26) cable ties
27) toiletries bag with toothpaste, soap, safety razor, floss
28) essential oil deodorant bag
29) Spare glasses in hard case
30) nut and honey snacks
32) whistle

I also keep this, in the car. I consider this my "broken down in the side of the road" kit, but also doubles as my camping/kicking adventure bag. I have a full first aid bag in the car, and a fairly complete tool bag as well.

As I've covered before,  the Kathmandu Hip Bag is a very dependable, and feature rich, wearable pack.

With my FUBAR and CRKT Stiff Kiss it is quite the formidable survival pack.

Here's what I keep in it....

33) heavy waterproof poncho, Woodland camo
34) gaffer tape
35) camping propane gas
37) enamel mug
38) bug spray
39) sweetened condensed milk in a tube
42) high-test marlin-fishing line
43) Petzl "figure 8" device
44) Kong locking carabiners
45) 5mm dynamic rope

46) matches
47) fishing hooks and sinkers in-a-tin
49) hand carved snare with braided line
50) Miltons water purifier tablets
51) nails
53) bandages
54) tea bags
55) whistle and flint
56) powdered chocolate.



I can wear both the Bullock Echo and the Kathmandu bum-bag at the same time, between the two I have a lot of survival kit in fairly small, wearable packages. Given that I don't spend a lot of time in the distant wilderness, but more urban sprawl, and country roadsides I think that in the event of a disaster in my region, I would be able to manage with this loadout for quite enough time to get home, or away, and overcome most any obstacle that I might come across.

For me the idea of a "bug-out-bag" is more of a "never coming back" bag, which would be a little more substantial, and aggressive, where these two are more a "get out of trouble" set. I can help myself, and others push through rough times with what I carry at all times, and have with me in my car...

After the Black Saturday fires of 2009 and the semi-regular flooding we are getting, I want to be ready, Equipped!




[edit] I've been asked if i would make Bug-Out-Bags for sale ... anyone interested?

1 comment:

  1. Tips for purchasing a copy here.replica watches uk People spend a lot of time searching for watches on the Internet, so it's easy to buy a good deal. replica breitling transocean watches There are many replicas of famous designer brands available for sale, and we can be sure that it looks high quality and good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...